There are many advantages you can gain from using our Icynene spray foam insulation in your home or commercial space. These include:
1. HEALTH AND SAFETY BENEFITS
In buildings with Icynene, dangers of respiratory distress caused by natural airborne irritants are reduced as hazards associated with certain forms of insulation such as long-term VOC emissions, were not observed in Icynene according to extensive testing. This means that those who are concerned about healthy air can breathe a little easier in buildings insulated with the water-blown products offered by Icynene.
Pollutants and airborne allergens can penetrate even the smallest gaps in other forms of insulation. Airborne moisture can also infiltrate traditional insulation, sometimes leading to mould, which releases spores and potentially toxic substances called mycotoxins. Thanks to the superior air seal created by Icynene, dangers of inhaling these toxins and irritants are greatly reduced.
For all these reasons, Icynene is highly recommended for spaces occupied by people with allergies, asthma and other particular respiratory issues. In fact, Icynene was used to improve indoor air quality as part of the American Lung Association’s “Health House” program.
OTHER HEALTH & SAFETY BENEFITS OF ICYNENE SPRAY FOAM INSULATION:
Rest assured that Icynene meets code requirements relating to fire safety. Icynene spray foam is a Class 1 material with a flame spread of less than or equal to 25.
Independent third-party testing confirms that electrical wiring is not affected by Icynene. Dangers of overheating were not found to be a concern during testing.
2. PROBLEMS AVOIDED
As we all become more educated about the science of insulation, our customers are discovering both building performance and peace of mind on a whole new level by using Icynene products. Problems that used to be commonplace or even inevitable can now be permanently avoided.
HELP PREVENT ENERGY LOSS
Icynene doesn’t just insulate it creates a superior air barrier compared to traditional insulation types like fiberglass. When it’s sprayed into the wall cavity, it expands to fill the space regardless of the size or shape, this includes cracks and crevices that other insulations can’t easily fill. It also sticks to every surface it touches creating a sealed environment. Thanks to the science of Icynene, problems like drafts can be a thing of the past, and energy bills can be reduced by up to 50%.
HELP PREVENT MOULD
Due to the airtightness it delivers, Icynene spray foam insulation helps block airborne moisture from infiltrating the wall cavity. In cases of roof or plumbing leaks, after the leak has been fixed, Icynene’s light-density insulation will dry, reducing the potential for mould growth. Once dried, it continues to operate at peak performance levels. This is a significant and unique benefit offered by Icynene as problems related to moisture management are common among other types of insulation.
HELP PREVENT AIR QUALITY ISSUES
By helping to reduce the risk of mould, Icynene also helps prevent the spores and toxins that get released into the air. In addition, airborne pollutants and allergens that can pass through the gaps left by other forms of insulation are much less of a threat as a result of the air-sealing capabilities of Icynene. Problems associated with asthma and allergies can therefore often be alleviated by using Icynene.
PREVENT THE COST OF REPLACEMENT
Icynene insulation comes with an industry-leading warranty. That’s because with Icynene, problems that are common with other forms of insulation just don’t occur, since there is no change in the insulation’s properties or performance over the life of the building.
A NOTE OF CAUTION: BEWARE OF OFF-BRAND SPRAY FOAM INSULATION ISSUES
Many people use the term “Icynene” as a synonym for “spray foam insulation,” but nowadays there are other brands of spray foam insulation on the market besides Icynene. Problems like lack of ‘bonding’ have occasionally occurred when customers have used an imitation product that was falsely represented as an Icynene product.
Protect yourself from off-brand spray foam insulation issues by being certain that what you get is indeed an authentic Icynene product, installed by a trained and licensed Icynene contractor. Speak to us today to find your local contractor by calling us on 0800 6891429!
3. PROBLEMS SOLVED
Energy efficiency is only one of the many benefits offered by Icynene insulation. Problems with allergies? Lack of privacy? You may be surprised how much Icynene could help.
ALLERGIES & ASTHMA RELIEF
As it dramatically reduces air filtration, Icynene helps prevent airborne allergens and pollutants from entering the building. As mentioned above, its moisture management benefits help to protect again mould formation meaning that, problems related to mould spores or other toxins being released is reduced.
Just as Icynene seals against the transfer of air and accompanying moisture, it also helps reduce the transfer of noise. Thanks to the sound-dampening qualities of Icynene insulation, problems and annoyances related to “thin walls” can be easily turned into greater privacy.
PROBLEMS WITH OTHER BUILDING SYSTEMS ARE EASILY ADDRESSED
When you have Icynene insulation, problems of some kinds may be simpler to solve than if other insulation were used. For example, in the case of a plumbing or electrical issue, Icynene products can be easily cut or removed to access the source of the problem. If a plumbing leak were to get the product wet, leaving the wall cavity open temporarily would allow it to dry and eliminate the need for total replacement.
FLOOR OVER UNCONDITIONED SPACE SUCH AS BASEMENTS OR CELLARS
When the space below is unconditioned and there isn’t sufficient insulation, a floor can become uncomfortable because of the temperature difference. The floor finish may also be damaged in a humid climate. Using Icynene spray foam insulation on the ceiling of the space under the floor can help solve these problems and others including:
- Unwanted noises on the main floor originating from the basement
- Buckling hardwood floors due to moisture build-up in the floor system
- Existing insulation falling out due to gravity
Conditioned air moving through un-insulated ductwork in the garage ceiling assembly or other unconditioned space cannot retain the conditioned temperature (heated air or cooled air). This causes additional discomfort for the occupants.
Where pipework enclosed within the ceiling/floor assembly is only protected by traditional insulation from the cold of the garage, frozen pipes may burst. Results of using Icynene include:
- Even floor temperatures for added comfort
- Quieter spaces on main floor
- Minimized potential for buckling of hardwood floors
Rim joists, around windows and doors, skylights and electrical boxes are just a few of the awkward areas in a home that are difficult or impossible to insulate effectively with conventional insulation. But not with Icynene spray foam insulation: it insulates and seals cavities of any shape to maintain an air barrier against lost energy and outdoor pollutants and airborne moisture.
Other common problems include:
- Designs or architectural features such as arches, cathedral ceilings, domed or vaulted ceilings or cantilevered floors can pose insulation challenges because conventional insulation doesn’t fit unusual cavities
- Batting is standard-sized and must be cut, manipulated or compressed to fill unusual spaces (like electrical boxes), reducing their rated U value and sometimes requiring extra finishing materials
- Irregular steel framing components can make insulating a challenge
- Results of using Icynene include:
- Icynene spray foam insulation sticks to surrounding surfaces. No need to worry about gaps or spaces in irregular shaped areas.
- Unlike some other insulation types Icynene won’t shrink, settle or sag.
- Seamless air-seal and rated insulation U value achieved in a single step, even around unusual geometry
- Increased durability of the structure and consistent U-value for the life of the building
- Minimized flow of airborne moisture and threat of condensation, especially against metal
- Flexibility of open-cell Icynene spray foam insulation to expand and contract along with the building structure, preventing delaminating and cracking over time
SOME ADVICE ABOUT THE INSTALLATION OF ICYNENE
Certified Icynene installation contractors using genuine Icynene spray foam insulation products produce good results. Settle for nothing less.
MAKE SURE IT’S REALLY ICYNENE BEING INSTALLED
Icynene® spray foam insulation is manufactured to ISO 9001 quality standards and extensively tested. Avoid imitators – other products may not be manufactured to the same high quality and may not perform in the same way as real Icynene materials.
Icynene spray foam insulation can only be installed by licensed Icynene contractors. These contractors are chosen for their dedication to quality, and they should be able to answer any questions you have about the installation. Ask your contractor for proof that they are an Icynene licensed contractor – they should be able to produce a certificate for you.
SELECTING THE RIGHT INSULATION TYPE
Your Icynene licensed contractor will advise on the best type of spray foam insulation to use for your property – open cell or closed cell. Different insulation types may be suitable in different applications.
Our professional installers will also offer you advice on how to prepare your home or commercial building for the installation process. They will also plan your installation including the following steps:
- Other trades need to be finished before spray foam can be installed
- Barriers around the area to be sprayed
- Access platforms if required
- Temporary ventilation
- Bringing equipment to the building
- Routes for hoses
- Waste disposal
This planning will ensure that the area can be sprayed efficiently and effectively and avoid problems during installation.
APPLICATION OF ICYNENE SPRAY FOAM INSULATION
Before applying Icynene spray foam insulation, your Icynene licensed contractor will follow these steps:
- Wear the required personal protective equipment
- Mix the materials following Icynene guidelines
- Ensure the temporary ventilation is working
- Take into account the temperature (especially if extremely hot or cold) and other conditions
- Ensure the substrate is ready to be sprayed on, and “flash” some substrates with a thin layer of foam in very cold weather
- Spray in the agreed areas and remove waste product
- Check that the insulation has been properly installed
- Leave the sprayed area sealed for 24 hours with the ventilation working
- Open up the area, remove the ventilation, and allow access
This allows for safe spraying of Icynene spray foam – when you use Icynene, installation problems are avoided because the Icynene licensed contractors pay attention to the details.
When your installation is complete, your Icynene licensed contractor will give you all the information you need to claim your warranty. In the rare event that there is an installation problem, your Icynene contractor will make it right in accordance with the terms of the warranty. Protection of surfaces and advice on what needs to be protected.